Looking for the Free Microlite20/7x/8x/2020 Rules Downloads?

There are well over 100 free downloads of rules (and more) for Microlite20, Microlite2020, Microlite7x, Microlite 81, and their many variants in the Game Download Library area below. These files can be downloaded without creating a membership on this site.

Update (19 Jun 23):

As I mentioned many weeks ago, maintaining the seldom used Wordpress side of this site became too much of a bother, especially as parts of Wordpress are constantly updating and some those updates break things -- like access to this forum. I'm finally had time to remove it. The forum should stop disappearing from view now.

As many of you know, my wife has had MS for about 20 years now. It has gotten to the stage where helping her takes a lot more of my time that it used to. This means visits to this board have become few and far between. I'm looking for a couple of members willing to help moderate this board. Note that if your idea of good moderation is anything similar the way boards like RPG.net are moderated, do not bother volunteering. Good moderation isn't about forcing your opinions, ideological positions, or biases on members via your power to gag and ban, it is about being helpful to all members (even those you don't like/disagree with), cleaning up after spammers, and enforcing the rules with the lightest hand possible and only doing so when the rules are actually broken. If you are interested in any message board moderation position on any board because of the supposed "power" it will give you, you are (IMHO) the wrong person for the job. If you are interested, PM me. It may taken quite a while to reply, unfortunately.

Microlite 20 Trademark, etc.

Discussion and Reviews of rules-lite tabeletop RPGs (games like Microlite20, The Black Hack, etc.)

quaffeine
United States of America

Microlite 20 Trademark, etc.

Post by quaffeine »

Out of curiosity, does anyone know where the trademark/general ownership of Microlite 20 stands?

I know someone bought it from the original creator, but last I checked he hasn't been doing anything with the "brand" for some time now.

0 x

randalls
Site Admin

Re: Microlite 20 Trademark, etc.

Post by randalls »

quaffeine wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:04 am

Out of curiosity, does anyone know where the trademark/general ownership of Microlite 20 stands?

I haven't heard from Seth in ages. While I'm not an IP lawyer, the Microlite20 trademark is probably unenforceable as neither greywulf or Seth ever tried to stop anyone from using it.

0 x

RandallS
Playing and Gamemastering Tabletop RPGs Since 1975
Designer: Microlite74, Microlite75, Microlite78, Microlite81, Microlite20 OSS, and others
Compiler: The Microlite20 RPG Collection
Administrator: Rules Light RPGs

squirewaldo
United States of America

Post by squirewaldo »

randalls wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:48 am

And there I thought you were the owner!!!!

Given how I've probably been the name most associated with Microlite20 over the last 5 or 6 years, I can understand why people might think that.

0 x
squirewaldo
United States of America

Post by squirewaldo »

Now this is really weird. You, Randall, responded to my comment, but it showed up as if it was my response?????

0 x
randalls
Site Admin

Post by randalls »

squirewaldo wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:30 pm

Now this is really weird. You, Randall, responded to my comment, but it showed up as if it was my response?????

That's really strange. The server had a hiccup around the end of June, but I don't think it could have caused that. ::baffled look:: I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before with any forum I've been involved in.

I think there is a "post as another user" mod for phpbb3, but I've never had it installed here -- and it is not installed, I just checked. Can servers roll a fumble??? Did I do something "Twilight Zone" weird when I posted? :?

0 x

RandallS
Playing and Gamemastering Tabletop RPGs Since 1975
Designer: Microlite74, Microlite75, Microlite78, Microlite81, Microlite20 OSS, and others
Compiler: The Microlite20 RPG Collection
Administrator: Rules Light RPGs

squirewaldo
United States of America

Post by squirewaldo »

randalls wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:01 pm
squirewaldo wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:30 pm

That's really strange. The server had a hiccup around the end of June, but I don't think it could have caused that. ::baffled look:: I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before with any forum I've been involved in.

I think there is a "post as another user" mod for phpbb3, but I've never had it installed here -- and it is not installed, I just checked. Can servers roll a fumble??? Did I do something "Twilight Zone" weird when I posted? :?

Let's just blame Putin?

0 x
wsc981
Thailand

Post by wsc981 »

quaffeine wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:04 am

I know someone bought it from the original creator, but last I checked he hasn't been doing anything with the "brand" for some time now.

I found an email of Robin Stacey through his Github and asked if it would be possible to sell a computer game commercially based on Microlite20 ruleset.

He responded:

... Yes, Microlite20 is entirely free to use however you want, including commercially though a small donation to my ko-fi at https://ko-fi.com/greywulf is always welcome if you wish. The only stipulation is that whatever you create has to include the Open Game License. That’s shown at the bottom of https://microlite20.org/microlite20-srd and can be copy-and-pasted directly from there. ...

Now he's not a lawyer and I am sure you have to keep in mind all provisions of the OGL as well, so it might be a bit more complicated actually.

0 x
squirewaldo
United States of America

Post by squirewaldo »

There are things listed in the OGL that CANNOT be included in your work. Tradenames, Trademarks, etc. etc. But the structure and format of the rules are clearly Open Source.

Now if you want to create an online version of something using the term Microlite20 in the title vs giving it proper reference as a source in the material and in the OGL, I suspect you might want to at least get some sort of written confirmation that either he approves or that the tradename is open and available as public domain. Unless you can find something more specific where he has point blank stated that.

0 x