Looking for the Free Microlite20/7x/8x/2020 Rules Downloads?

There are well over 100 free downloads of rules (and more) for Microlite20, Microlite2020, Microlite7x, Microlite 81, and their many variants in the Game Download Library area below. These files can be downloaded without creating a membership on this site.

Update (19 Jun 23):

As I mentioned many weeks ago, maintaining the seldom used Wordpress side of this site became too much of a bother, especially as parts of Wordpress are constantly updating and some those updates break things -- like access to this forum. I'm finally had time to remove it. The forum should stop disappearing from view now.

As many of you know, my wife has had MS for about 20 years now. It has gotten to the stage where helping her takes a lot more of my time that it used to. This means visits to this board have become few and far between. I'm looking for a couple of members willing to help moderate this board. Note that if your idea of good moderation is anything similar the way boards like RPG.net are moderated, do not bother volunteering. Good moderation isn't about forcing your opinions, ideological positions, or biases on members via your power to gag and ban, it is about being helpful to all members (even those you don't like/disagree with), cleaning up after spammers, and enforcing the rules with the lightest hand possible and only doing so when the rules are actually broken. If you are interested in any message board moderation position on any board because of the supposed "power" it will give you, you are (IMHO) the wrong person for the job. If you are interested, PM me. It may taken quite a while to reply, unfortunately.

Referencing rules at the table

Discussion and Reviews of rules-lite tabeletop RPGs (games like Microlite20, The Black Hack, etc.)

quaffeine
United States of America

Referencing rules at the table

Post by quaffeine »

So I've been going down the rabbit hole of at-the-table reference material lately, specifically things like home-made cheatsheets.

Given the concise nature of e.g. m20 Purest Essence as well as some of the more expanded rulesets, how does everyone typically look up rules at the table?

• Page through the rules booklets? If so, what size? Anyone still using things like the PocketMod format m20 originally used?
  • Any supplemental reference materials? Cheatsheets? Index cards (like the D&D/PF Spell Card decks)?
  • How about digital tools? Do you reference PDFs? Curate rules using e.g. Google Docs?
0 x

squirewaldo
United States of America

Re: Referencing rules at the table

Post by squirewaldo »

Well my first start is to try to build as much of the basic rules into the Character Sheet as possible. This is pretty easy for M20 based games and it is why I do so emphasize to new players to use the character sheets I provide.

And as you know I have no problem looking at the rules to figure out what they say, even when I wrote the damned things. I cannot remember everything I have written or said, so having a reference is always handy. After all that is what rules are for.

As for digital stuff I wish I was better with that, but I have no luck in using them. I need to have paper in my grubby little paws.

however, when I don't feel like doing so I just make shit up on the fly. That works too.

0 x
randalls
Site Admin

Re: Referencing rules at the table

Post by randalls »

quaffeine wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:01 pm

Given the concise nature of e.g. m20 Purest Essence as well as some of the more expanded rulesets, how does everyone typically look up rules at the table?

I try to avoid looking up rules during play. if I can't remember the specifics of a rule, I generally just make ruling that seems fair. Keeping the game moving is -- more often than not -- more important than following some rule that doesn't come into play often enough to remember.

That said, I have all the rulebooks as PDFs on my tablet, so if I need to find something important, search is my friend. If I'm using multiple rulebooks, I generally merge them into one PDF so I can search the lot of them with one search.

Important note: For games like Microlite74, I been running some version of them or the game they are intended to recreate for many, many years. There's not much important that I am likely to forget.

0 x

RandallS
Playing and Gamemastering Tabletop RPGs Since 1975
Designer: Microlite74, Microlite75, Microlite78, Microlite81, Microlite20 OSS, and others
Compiler: The Microlite20 RPG Collection
Administrator: Rules Light RPGs