Looking for the Free Microlite20/7x/8x/2020 Rules Downloads?

There are well over 100 free downloads of rules (and more) for Microlite20, Microlite2020, Microlite7x, Microlite 81, and their many variants in the Game Download Library area below. These files can be downloaded without creating a membership on this site.

Update (19 Jun 23):

As I mentioned many weeks ago, maintaining the seldom used Wordpress side of this site became too much of a bother, especially as parts of Wordpress are constantly updating and some those updates break things -- like access to this forum. I'm finally had time to remove it. The forum should stop disappearing from view now.

As many of you know, my wife has had MS for about 20 years now. It has gotten to the stage where helping her takes a lot more of my time that it used to. This means visits to this board have become few and far between. I'm looking for a couple of members willing to help moderate this board. Note that if your idea of good moderation is anything similar the way boards like RPG.net are moderated, do not bother volunteering. Good moderation isn't about forcing your opinions, ideological positions, or biases on members via your power to gag and ban, it is about being helpful to all members (even those you don't like/disagree with), cleaning up after spammers, and enforcing the rules with the lightest hand possible and only doing so when the rules are actually broken. If you are interested in any message board moderation position on any board because of the supposed "power" it will give you, you are (IMHO) the wrong person for the job. If you are interested, PM me. It may taken quite a while to reply, unfortunately.

Can Microlite games be effective without magic?

Description: Looking to create a medieval RPG setting

Discussion and Reviews of rules-lite tabeletop RPGs (games like Microlite20, The Black Hack, etc.)

gjbkk

Can Microlite games be effective without magic?

Post by gjbkk »

Firstly, a belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Thanks for this fantastic forum and set of goodies.

My son wants to try a TTRPG with a medieval setting, possibly without magic. I know there are lots of games out there that serve this purpose but if it can be done, I'd like the challenge of adapting/cropping one of the ML games. So: can it be done? Which version would be most suitable or would it be a case of taking any of them and simply not including magic?

Sorry if these are daft questions. My knowledge and experience are probably lower than other forum users here.

0 x

quaffeine
United States of America

Re: Can Microlite games be effective without magic?

Post by quaffeine »

Hi!

No daft questions here! Or maybe they're just all daft questions, how would we know the difference? :lol:

I think it would be arguably easier to adapt Microlite to remove magic, at least compared to a number of other d20-based games (including the Usual Suspects). The basic magic system in m20 (powered by HP) means that magic-users already start with a similar level of endurance as other classes.

The only thing you might want to keep an eye on is damage output of non-magic wielders versus the HP of enemies, especially at higher levels. I recently ran an m20-based campaign where there was no "magic" as such, although the party did have a chemist that could do some magic-esque things. There were also options for the "fighter" do up damage using something like martial feats, and as a result I found I had to toughen the enemies up quite a bit to challenge them. But if you're planning on sticking close to Purest Essence I could see it going the other way as well. If you have nothing but "vanilla" fighters doing 1d6-1d10 tops each round, make sure your enemies don't have hundreds of HP they'll need to hack through.

Otherwise m20 should give you a great chassis for a magic-free game, IMO.

1 x
gjbkk

Post by gjbkk »

Thank you quaffeine, I think I am going to give it a try. I did find some non-magical medieval RPGs online but they are about 30 dollars, which is more than I want to pay for something I will have to print and study, then possibly play for ten minutes and then decide it's not working out.

0 x
squirewaldo
United States of America

Post by squirewaldo »

I think Microlite20 and Microlite2020 are ideal to develop without magic. I have created a number of different games that do just that. In fact I had to add magic to provide more flexibility. I think the Microlite system is ideal for just such efforts.

1 x
quaffeine
United States of America

Post by quaffeine »

I can attest that the game @squirewaldo mentions worked well both with and without the magical elements.

1 x
squirewaldo
United States of America

Post by squirewaldo »

Here is a game I made about a month ago that does not use any magic (link to free download):

https://squirewaldo.itch.io/small-survi ... coYgPmo0Vw

0 x