Looking for the Free Microlite20/7x/8x/2020 Rules Downloads?

There are well over 100 free downloads of rules (and more) for Microlite20, Microlite2020, Microlite7x, Microlite 81, and their many variants in the Game Download Library area below. These files can be downloaded without creating a membership on this site.

Update (19 Jun 23):

As I mentioned many weeks ago, maintaining the seldom used Wordpress side of this site became too much of a bother, especially as parts of Wordpress are constantly updating and some those updates break things -- like access to this forum. I'm finally had time to remove it. The forum should stop disappearing from view now.

As many of you know, my wife has had MS for about 20 years now. It has gotten to the stage where helping her takes a lot more of my time that it used to. This means visits to this board have become few and far between. I'm looking for a couple of members willing to help moderate this board. Note that if your idea of good moderation is anything similar the way boards like RPG.net are moderated, do not bother volunteering. Good moderation isn't about forcing your opinions, ideological positions, or biases on members via your power to gag and ban, it is about being helpful to all members (even those you don't like/disagree with), cleaning up after spammers, and enforcing the rules with the lightest hand possible and only doing so when the rules are actually broken. If you are interested in any message board moderation position on any board because of the supposed "power" it will give you, you are (IMHO) the wrong person for the job. If you are interested, PM me. It may taken quite a while to reply, unfortunately.

WotC, the OGL 1.*, and SRD 3.*

A place to share your rules-lite RPG ideas and designs.

squirewaldo
United States of America

Re: WotC, the OGL 1.*, and SRD 3.*

Post by squirewaldo »

Babilfrenzo wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:49 pm
squirewaldo wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:40 pm

Oh, by the way I have completed my re-work of Microlite20 into a non-OGL form. It is bigger and longer than Microlite20 since, just as I have a problem with rules so bloated that no one can figure out what anything means without a ouija board, I also dislike rules that are so 'lite' that they leave out important parts that are required to make the game playable.

I think my set of rules hits the sweet spot. Not including the sections on wealth, weapons and equipment; monsters; and spell; the rules come out to 17 pages on 6"x9" pages using friendly font sizes. My problem now is the name. the name I put on it sucks beyond all suckittoood. I am terrible at coming up with good names. hmmmmm.

Please share your work when you're done! I'd love to see how someone else de-OGL-ified their Microlite-derived game, and I think it'll be very good for the Microlite20 community to have a few examples out there of non-OGL games.

My problem is the name is so stupid I don't even want to admit I came up with it. I have to find another name.

0 x

squirewaldo
United States of America

Post by squirewaldo »

Babilfrenzo wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:49 pm
squirewaldo wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:40 pm

Oh, by the way I have completed my re-work of Microlite20 into a non-OGL form. It is bigger and longer than Microlite20 since, just as I have a problem with rules so bloated that no one can figure out what anything means without a ouija board, I also dislike rules that are so 'lite' that they leave out important parts that are required to make the game playable.

I think my set of rules hits the sweet spot. Not including the sections on wealth, weapons and equipment; monsters; and spell; the rules come out to 17 pages on 6"x9" pages using friendly font sizes. My problem now is the name. the name I put on it sucks beyond all suckittoood. I am terrible at coming up with good names. hmmmmm.

Please share your work when you're done! I'd love to see how someone else de-OGL-ified their Microlite-derived game, and I think it'll be very good for the Microlite20 community to have a few examples out there of non-OGL games.

Ok. This name sucks too, but not as much as the previous name:

https://www.bozbat.com/microlite20-rpg- ... t-w-o-rpg/

0 x
squirewaldo
United States of America

Post by squirewaldo »

Now to go research the Creative Commons license. I think there are about 12 of them and I want to make sure I am using the right one.

0 x
squirewaldo
United States of America

Post by squirewaldo »

Things have changed a lot over at the CC since I last looked. here is the license I chose:

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0).
To view more information on this license visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

It is the most open of all the licenses.

0 x
gjbkk

Post by gjbkk »

Some good news today, and news I'm hoping may encourage Randall to feel that M20 is very safe:

“content already released under 1.0a will also remain unaffected.”

It also will not include the license back provision that some people were afraid was a means for us to steal work. That thought never crossed our minds,

we rolled a 1

https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/13/2355 ... otc-hasbro

0 x
gjbkk

Post by gjbkk »

squirewaldo wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:54 pm

Things have changed a lot over at the CC since I last looked. here is the license I chose:

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0).
To view more information on this license visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

It is the most open of all the licenses.

I took a look at your rules today. It's clear you put a lot of effort in and it's much appreciated. My personal take: the mechanics and stats you have kept in place well and labelled them well. Some of the expressions such as "competency stats" and "attacking while prone" don't really roll off the tongue. I wonder if there are better choices available?

Also as a matter of purely personal taste: I associate D&D and M20 with old school, traditional fantasy cover art. The cover art for yours makes me think more of My Little Pony or sth, but that's just me lol

Thanks again for the effort and keep up the good work.

0 x
squirewaldo
United States of America

Post by squirewaldo »

Here is the supplement for Wealth Weapons Equipment:

https://squirewaldo.itch.io/two-rpg-wwe

1 x
quaffeine
United States of America

Post by quaffeine »

New draft of the OGL is out.

If only that had been what they released in the first place. :roll:

Core mechanics (as explicitly cited by page numbers from the 5.1 SRD) licensed CC 4.0, basically only "product identity" (spell names, beholdera, etc.) subject to OGL.

I'd like to think 1.1 was a result of Hasbro higher-ups, to which the D&D folks said, "they're not gonna like that," to which the Has-bros replied, "we don't care." If so, I can imagine the D&D folks are now saying, "told ya so."

We all are/were up in arms based on 1.1, and no, I can't imagine a scenario where I publish anything using OGL 1.2. I'm quite happy with working off a Microlite base.

But I started playing Dungeons & Dragons in (or around) 1983, and despite their recent muck-ups the brand being excised from the hobby entirely is not what I'd want to see.

UPDATE

Oops, shilled too soon. :lol: The CC contributions still exclude character creation including classes. Meaning using SRD text to describe these still requires accepting the OGL.

0 x
squirewaldo
United States of America

Post by squirewaldo »

quaffeine wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:48 pm

New draft of the OGL is out.

If only that had been what they released in the first place. :roll:

Core mechanics (as explicitly cited by page numbers from the 5.1 SRD) licensed CC 4.0, basically only "product identity" (spell names, beholdera, etc.) subject to OGL.

I'd like to think 1.1 was a result of Hasbro higher-ups, to which the D&D folks said, "they're not gonna like that," to which the Has-bros replied, "we don't care." If so, I can imagine the D&D folks are now saying, "told ya so."

We all are/were up in arms based on 1.1, and no, I can't imagine a scenario where I publish anything using OGL 1.2. I'm quite happy with working off a Microlite base.

But I started playing Dungeons & Dragons in (or around) 1983, and despite their recent muck-ups the brand being excised from the hobby entirely is not what I'd want to see.

UPDATE

Oops, shilled too soon. :lol: The CC contributions still exclude character creation including classes. Meaning using SRD text to describe these still requires accepting the OGL.

Also, remember Microlite is not a safe haven since it was produced under the OGL.

0 x
gjbkk

Post by gjbkk »

"Nothing will impact any content you have already published under OGL 1.0a. That will always be licensed under OGL 1.0a. Your stuff is your stuff."

Well at least it looks like Microlite is safe.Hopefully Randall will feel it's safe to keep the downloads section running. I prefer Microlite to D&D these days anyway.

0 x