Looking for the Free Microlite20/7x/8x/2020 Rules Downloads?

There are well over 100 free downloads of rules (and more) for Microlite20, Microlite2020, Microlite7x, Microlite 81, and their many variants in the Game Download Library area below. These files can be downloaded without creating a membership on this site.

Update (19 Jun 23):

As I mentioned many weeks ago, maintaining the seldom used Wordpress side of this site became too much of a bother, especially as parts of Wordpress are constantly updating and some those updates break things -- like access to this forum. I'm finally had time to remove it. The forum should stop disappearing from view now.

As many of you know, my wife has had MS for about 20 years now. It has gotten to the stage where helping her takes a lot more of my time that it used to. This means visits to this board have become few and far between. I'm looking for a couple of members willing to help moderate this board. Note that if your idea of good moderation is anything similar the way boards like RPG.net are moderated, do not bother volunteering. Good moderation isn't about forcing your opinions, ideological positions, or biases on members via your power to gag and ban, it is about being helpful to all members (even those you don't like/disagree with), cleaning up after spammers, and enforcing the rules with the lightest hand possible and only doing so when the rules are actually broken. If you are interested in any message board moderation position on any board because of the supposed "power" it will give you, you are (IMHO) the wrong person for the job. If you are interested, PM me. It may taken quite a while to reply, unfortunately.

Eldritch Words Spell System

Description: A new spell system for microlite

A place to share your rules-lite RPG ideas and designs.

Babilfrenzo

Post by Babilfrenzo »

In my efforts to replace all OGL content for M20 Fifth, I have been forced to replace the Words of Power system that I had used under the OGL. This is what I've replaced it with, I'd be interested in any feedback, or suggestions on how I could improve the system:

All magic requires saying two eldritch words: a verb and a noun. Every 1st level caster starts out knowing four eldritch words, but must know at least one verb and one noun.

They learn two new eldritch words every three levels (3, 6, 9, etc.)

Optional Rules

• White and Black Magic: Priests draw their power from white magic, and may not use their magic to directly harm an individual. Mages draw their power from black magic and may not directly heal an individual.

• Elemental Specialization: At the start of a day, a caster who knows the Elements noun must choose one particular type of damage (acid, fire, etc.) For that day, they may only use the Elements noun with relation to that type of damage. Alternatively, make a caster choose a damage type upon learning Elements- their magic is only capable of interacting with that type of energy.

The Verbs

• Alter (mutatio): Change, Modify, Adapt, Vary, Transform, Alter, etc.

• Befuddle (caeco): Confuse, Obfuscate, Becloud, Disorient, Create Illusion, etc.

• Charm (alliceo): Enchant, Fascinate, Mesmerize, Bewitch, Entice, etc.

• Control (impero): Command, Govern, Direct, Influence, Manage, Rule, Dominates, etc.

• Destroy (perdo): Break, Demolish, Ruin, Wreck, Annihilate, etc.

• Foresee (provideo): Predict, Anticipate, Forecast, See Ahead, Prophesy, etc.

• Learn (disceo): Acquire, Study, Master, Understand, Assimilate, Discover, etc.

• Manifest (manifesto): Create, Produce, Make visible, Evoke, Bring forth, etc.

• Protect (tueor): Guard, Defend, Shield, Safeguard, Insure, Preserve, etc.

• Restore (restauro): Heal, Renew, Revive, Rebuild, Mend, Reinstate, Recuperate, etc.

The Nouns

• Elements (elementum): Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Light, Darkness, etc.

• Material (inanimatum): Matter that is not living, such as stone, metal, plastic, glass, etc.

• Beast (ferus): Living creatures that are not plants, including all supernatural beings, monsters, mammals, birds, fish, insects, etc.

• Vegetable (vegetabilis): Living organisms that grow such as plants, fungi, etc.

• Sapient Being (sapiens): rational, conscious, intelligent beings, capable of abstract reasoning and understanding.

• Divine (deus): Godly, spiritual, supernatural, celestial, holy, etc.

If the caster is just trying to damage another creature, the caster makes a magic attack vs. AC. Otherwise, the creature must make a avoidance throw vs. the caster’s spell TN. (The appropriate avoidance throw is decided by the GM. For example, dodging a fireball might be AGI, while resisting the effects of mind control might be MIND.)

Damage and healing starts at 3d6 at spell potency 1, and increases by 3d6 every spell potency.

For other effects besides simple damage and healing, roll damage starting at 2d6 at spell potency 1, and increasing by 2d6 every spell potency. Then consult the list below:

• If the target fails their avoidance throw, and their current HTK is less than the damage rolled, then the target is instantly affected by the spell but takes no damage

• If the target fails their avoidance throw, and their current HTK is greater than the damage rolled, then the target takes the damage rolled, but is not affected by the spell

• The target succeeds on their avoidance throw, then the target takes half the damage rolled

Positive effects used on willing targets bypass the need for avoidance throws, and immediately take effect. A creature can only be transformed into something of equal or lesser monster level/level to themselves.

Area Affected: In general, magical effects are limited in scope and area. They can affect a single creature at Potency 1, or an area representing about 1/9th of a room. Each increase of Potency increases the number of creatures that can be hit, or increases the amount of a room that can be affected by 1/9th. (So 2/9ths at Potency 2, etc.)

Duration: Spells that affect inanimate objects are generally permanent; an enlarged pebble will stay large, a broken belt will stay mended. Magically created fires, etc, will die down naturally. Living creatures will remain affected by a spell for 1 round per spell potency of the spell that affected them. A caster may concentrate on a spell in order to keep the spell active longer. While concentrating, a caster may not cast any spells besides simple damage and healing spells or Potency 0 spells.

0 x

quaffeine
United States of America

Re: Eldritch Words Spell System

Post by quaffeine »

Is the 3d6 * Potency something that scales appropriately? I feel like most Potency 1 spells in The Traditional System do significantly less damage than that for the equivalent cost of 3 MP.

Curious if you've playtested this progression and how it went...

Elsewise, while I still don't think I'd run a "X by Y"-style system myself, the additional nouns/verbs and white vs. black magic option are definitely nice enhancements to this style of magic.

0 x
Babilfrenzo

Post by Babilfrenzo »

quaffeine wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:37 pm

Is the 3d6 * Potency something that scales appropriately? I feel like most Potency 1 spells in The Traditional System do significantly less damage than that for the equivalent cost of 3 MP.

Curious if you've playtested this progression and how it went...

Elsewise, while I still don't think I'd run a "X by Y"-style system myself, the additional nouns/verbs and white vs. black magic option are definitely nice enhancements to this style of magic.

It's been a while since I've done the math, but it was based on the trendline of outlier best spells for each level (the ones what do unusually high amounts of damage for their spell potency) in Fifth Edition.

I might try and redo my math, but I suspect that between the number of spells scaling with HTK instead of using spell slots and the reference cases of Warlocks vs. Wizards in Fifth Edition that there's quite high tolerance for spike damage vs. spreading slightly improved damage over a longer period of time.

I will be trying to properly playtest the Eldritch Words system soon, though.

0 x
quaffeine
United States of America

Post by quaffeine »

Sounds fascinating!

I'm super interested to learn how this goes, once you've put it through its paces, please do let us know the results.

I outlined a slightly different system here that's a little more rigid in terms of what you can do. But what I definitely know is missing is how well you do it at a particular cost, and I'd be really interested to see how a linear progression like that works.

And the math behind it, if that's something you're willing to share. I'm still struggling with how to apply it to simple things like damage/healing, to say nothing of more "utility"-style effects.

0 x
squirewaldo
United States of America

Post by squirewaldo »

What about: Klaatu barada nnnnn....aaanana?

0 x
quaffeine
United States of America

Post by quaffeine »

Nickel!

NOODLE!

:lol:

0 x